Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"A Letter Of Introduction"


I am Racara M. Jackson. I am 23 years old with no kids. I love to read books, cook, watch TV, and do fun things. I was born in West Palm Beach Fl, which is about three hours away from Orlando. Every since I was younger, Orlando have always been a place where I wanted to live and go to school. This will be my first year attending UCF as a transfer student. I recently transfer from Seminole State College where I receive my AA Degree in General Education.  I originally wanted to become an Elementary School teacher but just a week ago I decided to change my major. My current major is now Early Childhood Development.  I decided to change my major because I have learn that I am better with younger kids that older. This course is not a course that is needed for my major. Being that I attended the last orientation, the classes were very limited. All the classes I need towards my degree was fill or online. Therefore, instead of sitting out until spring semester; here I am taking three classes I found that was interesting. This course sparked an interest because as a woman who wouldn’t want to learn more about themselves. I feel learning about me as a woman (current to past history) will be a great experience. Women are often judge upon, mostly by men; because of what past history have label women as. Many still believe that women are only good at baring kids, cooking, cleaning, and taking care of the home. I strongly believe that now there is not major different between men and women. Many women are taking the responsible that men are known for doing. Job that are known as “men jobs”, are now being taking by women. Women have proving that they can handle things that men usually doing. Nevertheless, gender still somehow plays its role. Even though women are doing what men do, there are still things out there where a woman will need the help of a man. With the help of classes, media, book, and my own knowledge; I strongly believe that’s my greatest influence on understanding how men and women behave. As a child I was taught that a woman behaves a certain way and so does a man. I am at an age where I know right from wrong. In society, men and women are looked upon to act how they should and when that rule is broken issues occur. Some of the occurring issues are ones are being judge for their actions. I believe that rule should be changed so no one is being judge. Ones should be able to act how he/she wants to. Gender is an important access because our gender is what separate us and the constant labeling is what makes us. I am happy to be in this course and looking forward to adding on the knowledge I have. I hope to gain a clear understanding on the known and unknown information, would make this course a successful course token.   

1 comment:

  1. Racara,

    Welcome to UCF. I used to teach at SCC and I know the campus well.

    What do you enjoy cooking?

    In response to your discussion about the changing roles of women, I agree that many women increasingly have entered the workforce and continue to excel in education. Part of the problem is that the times have not so much caught up with this and so many of the gendered divisions of labor remain intact. We will talk more about this as the semester continues.

    MLT

    ReplyDelete