Saturday, October 6, 2012

Campus Engagement One "The Purity Myth"


I recently went to the movie viewing of “The Purity Myth”. I was able to gain a lot of knowledge the movie. A lot of information talked about in the movie would have been valuable to me a couple of years ago. I never had anyone teach me how to value myself; I had to learn it on my own. Values were one the many talked about subjects in the movie. It explained that every woman should hold some type of values for herself. Not allow anyone to disrespect her and mistreat her. A lot of times women don’t realize having values and standing for them gets you a long way in life. Values are viewed in many ways or another. Having values makes me fearful, serious, and time means everything. Other ways my values shows are through intelligences, empathy, compassion, loyalty, and kindness. I stand my ground and hold on to my values. I don’t let anyone take them away from me or tell me I am anything less than what I value. On another note, the movies talked a lot about what is referred as a woman V-Card. This topic has always been a rocky topic for me, because double standard plays its role heavy. As a woman if you have had sex before marriage, society often look down upon you. You are viewed powerless and unworthy in many cases. But if a man was to have sex, he get applaud for it. I find that unfair because instead of coming down on the woman, who in most cases is pressured into sex from a man; the guys should be at fault also. Put the same judgment on the man as you would on the woman. Also, I was shocked and surprise to hear that there are formal balls held for fathers and daughters. These balls are held so that the daughter can make a promise before god, that they will give their V-Card to their fathers until marriage. I founded that to be creepy and crazy. Some of the daughter was as young as seven years old. At that age, little girls are clueless about what they are doing. I would have never wanted to experience that. I honestly feel all you have to do is instill values in your daughter; as well as your son, so when they do decide to take that step they know the outcome of their actions.  The movie was a great viewing and I will suggest all women and men to watch it.

1 comment: